Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Final Results


Sorry I don't have more pictures. I finished the black guitar up last saturday morning. I kind of did it all at one time then realized I forgot the pictures. It turned out pretty good I think.

So here's what I had to do.
1. Clean it up because it smelled like smoke.
2. Get rid of the old electronics.
3. Shield the body.
4. Drill another hole in the pickgaurd for a second tone knob.
5. Route out the cavity for the neck pickup to fit the humbucker.
6. Route the pickgaurd to fit around the base of the neck.
7. Mount and wire the pickups in the new pickgaurd.

For this guitar I bought everything from guitarfetish.com. The electronics probably aren't as high of quality, but they're a lot cheaper. And since this guitar wasn't quite as nice, I didn't want to spend as much on it.

The pickups are GFS Fat Pats. They're modeled after the PAF pickups in a Gibson SG. They were only $30 each, but I think they have a pretty good sound. Nice and crunchy when you turn them up.

I used a single .022 mf Orange drop capacitor wired to both tone knobs. I used a Telecaster 3 way switch with a circuit board. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to wire it all but it turned out great. And I did a much better job on the soldering this time. It just takes a little practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment